With the aim to help Nepali agricultural enterprises (micro, small, medium enterprises – MSMEs) transform (incremental and/or radical) into resilient enterprises by developing sustainable business models, ICIMOD in collaboration with Nepal Communitere and R&D Innovative Solution will promote the adoption of RE and EE innovations. Nepal Communitere is the incubation implementation partner and R&D Solutions is providing the agriculture sector expertise. RESA is the second cohort of the Tourovation Hub Program.
The RESA incubation program, contributes towards ICIMOD’s REEECH (Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency Capability of the Hindu Kush Himalaya) objective to strengthen the entrepreneurial ecosystem – entrepreneurs, investors, and policy enablers, to integrate RE and EE solutions into small mountain enterprises across the HKH, and scaling up enterprises. “RESA meaning veins in Nepali providing necessary nutrients to plants, the abbreviation, and the name perfectly resonates with the work we plan to do”. This intervention promotes a nexus between agriculture, renewable energy, and entrepreneurship. It focuses on bringing innovation in the agriculture value chain by introducing RE solutions to bring efficiency with environmental and social sustainability while making the business resilient.
Design and development of sustainable business models for Nepal’s agricultural enterprises by adopting RE and EE approaches and solutions. The design and development of sustainable business models involve multi-stakeholder views and collaborations. The participation of public and private stakeholders from the agriculture and RE sectors will be crucial in supporting, advising, and ensuring the sustainability of the project.
The 8 agri-enterprises selected are currently going through the 6 month-long incubation program (July 2021 – December 2021). Each of the enterprises will receive the seed fund of NPR 2 lakhs to integrate RE solutions into their business. They come from varied backgrounds – technology developers (innovation), users (evidence generation), and service providers (capacity).
- Access to a comprehensive business development curriculum and learning resources
- Explore and integrate renewable energy solutions and approaches
- Monthly masterclasses (in-person or virtual)
- Bi-monthly strategic business coaching and monthly financial coaching to meet enterprise milestones (in-person or virtual)
- Access to finance
- Peer learning, enterprises work collaboratively and learn from one another
- Nepal Communitere’s network of industry experts, technical consultants
- The Hub’s partners (agriculture and renewable energy experts)
- Customers and visibility through Nepal Communitere’s monthly newsletter, social media networks, and mailing list
- FabLab to design and prototype with 3D printers, plasma cutter, welding, and carpentry tools (based on requirements, depending on the COVID-19 situation)
- Dynamic furnished space, with hi-speed internet and backup electricity (depending on the COVID-19 situation)